73142Re: VIML regex comparison problem

  • Mike Williams
    Sep 9, 2013
      On 09/09/2013 14:35, Nikolay Pavlov wrote:
      > On Sep 9, 2013 4:30 PM, "Mike Williams" <mike.williams@...>
      > wrote:

      >>> It makes difference with some specific directory names. “Specific”
      > includes dots in directory name.
      >>

      >> My bad again. On Windows fnamemodify(..., ':p') appears to normalise the
      > given path to remove things like .. and . whereas on unix it doesn't. I
      > was hoping to rely on normalisation being done for me.

      I hate Mondays. No it is working on unix - I had an extra character in
      a directory which resulted in the path being left as is which confused me.

      > There is simplify() function for this. I personally used to hold most data
      > in directory named literally "*.*" (due to too many dotdirs in $HOME).
      > Three meta-characters! Now it got renamed to a.a.

      Thanks - I had missed simplify() and that has pinged me to resolve() as
      well.

      > There are also normpath and realpath functions in my frawor framework, in
      > autoload/frawor/os.vim and plugin/frawor.vim. They also resolve all
      > symlinks:
      >
      > https://bitbucket.org/ZyX_I/frawor/src/bd41cfedd93dbf18b134be8e967d56c36315914b/plugin/frawor.vim#cl-272and
      > line 283 below;
      > https://bitbucket.org/ZyX_I/frawor/src/bd41cfedd93dbf18b134be8e967d56c36315914b/autoload/frawor/os.vim#cl-58and
      > line 125.
      >
      > First one is used to be sure that directories are the same thus doing
      > aggressive normalization, second are library functions.

      Looks real useful - I will have read around the framework for more
      inspiration.

      Cheers.

      > is#

      >>> “A is# b” is like “type(A) == type(b) && A ==# b”. I just use it always
      > for string comparison because I constantly use zero as a substitution for
      > python None (e.g. as a default value) and “"abc" == 0” is true because if
      > one of the “==” operands is a number another operand is also coerced to a
      > number. Using “#” and “?” is a good habit because it is bad idea to rely on
      > user settings.
      >>>
      >>> Note that I use is# here not because I expect number as one of the
      > operands *here*. I use it because it is string comparison and in some
      > *other* string comparisons I write numbers are expected.
      >>

      >> Thanks for the explanation - this is my first deep dive in VIML to do
      > something more than solve an immediate issue. Reading around some of the
      > larger plugins and some blogs I get the interesting aroma of python and
      > javascript idioms being used, so I expect more confusion as I move on until
      > things start to sink in deep.
      >>

      >> Mike
      >> --
      >> Old enough to know better, but young enough to not care.

      Mike
      --
      Old enough to know better, but young enough to not care.