72834Re: --remote-silent and startinsert not playing well...

  • John Szakmeister
    Aug 17, 2013
      On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 12:02 PM, Ben Fritz <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:
      > Otherwise, I think --remote commands internally use the :drop command to edit a file. You can see whether you can reproduce your problem using that.

      I did narrow down the problem, but I'm not sure where to take it. Vim
      ends up building this as the command to the server (sorry for the

      <C-\\><C-N>:cd /path/to/somewhere<CR>:if exists('*inputsave')|call
      inputsave()|endif|drop filename|if exists('*inputrestore')|call
      inputrestore()|endif<CR><C-\\><C-N>:if !exists('+acd')||!&acd|cd
      -|endif<CR>:cal foreground()|if &im|star|en|redr|f<CR>

      If I reduce that command to just the following, I can reproduce the
      problem in a running session:

      if exists('*inputsave')|call inputsave()|endif|drop filename|if
      exists('*inputrestore')|call inputrestore()|endif

      I'm not sure what exactly is happening (I'm not too familiar with the
      Vim code base just yet), but removing the inputsave/inputrestore does
      allows it to work. There's a comment near inputsave() saying:

      /* Call inputsave() so that a prompt for an encryption key works. */

      Any ideas on where to go from here? I'd really like this to work, if
      at all possible.