72742Re: Issue 28 in vim: out of the box, gVim 7.3.46 for Win32 cannot write swap files on Windows 7

    Aug 12, 2013
      Ben Fritz wrote:

      > On Sunday, August 11, 2013 12:52:16 PM UTC-5, v...@... wrote:
      > > Comment #7 on issue 28 by brammool...@...: out of the box, gVim
      > >
      > > 7.3.46 for Win32 cannot write swap files on Windows 7
      > >
      > > http://code.google.com/p/vim/issues/detail?id=28
      > >

      > > I do not see the problem "out of the box".
      > >
      > > Starting gVim from the desktop results in a swap
      > >
      > > file "c:\Users\bram\Desktop\_.swp".
      > >
      > > How did you start gVim then?
      > >
      > > How did you manage to start in a directory that is not writable?
      >
      > When I launch a newly installed Vim with no files, it always launches
      > in C:\Program Files (x86)\vim or something like that, which is not
      > writable unless you run Vim elevated with admin privileges.

      How do you launch Vim? Do you really mean Vim or gVim? I suppose gVim,
      since from a console you always have a current directory.

      > Since the
      > directory is not writable, it falls back to C:\Temp or C:\TMP which
      > does not exist. Vim should use $TEMP and $TMP instead. These go
      > somewhere under C:\Users\yourusername on Windows 7.

      I don't think that $TEMP is a good default current directory. The
      desktop isn't so bad, although $HOME is probably what most people
      expect. Obviously this only matters if you do ":w file".

      The main problem is: How can Vim know that the current directory is not
      given by the user?

      88. Every single time you press the 'Get mail' button...it does get new mail.