72420[OT] Mail threading (Was: Re: Vim slow after big count insert)

  • James McCoy
    Jul 22, 2013
      On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 07:39:12AM +0400, Nikolay Pavlov wrote:
      > On Jul 20, 2013 2:28 AM, "Gary Johnson" <garyjohn@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > On 2013-07-19, Dimitar DIMITROV wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Dimitar,
      > >
      > > It would be a big help to those of us with threading mail readers if
      > > you would be sure that your replies include "Re: " at the start of
      > > the Subject.
      >
      > This has nothing to do with threads. There is a special field added to
      > messages when you reply that contains unique ID of the message being
      > replied to and *this* field makes mail readers able to arrange messages
      > correctly.

      That depends on the mail reader. Even with MUAs that follow the
      Message-ID/In-Reply-To chains, it's not uncommon to treat a topic change
      as a new thread. For ones that don't honor the IDs, the subject is
      usually used instead.

      Regardless, Dimitar's emails don't even have the In-Reply-To header set.
      The X-Mailer header claims to be YahooMailWebService, so I doubt there's
      much that he can do to fix it short of deciding to use a more standard,
      standalone MUA instead of (I assume) their web interface.

      Cheers,
      --
      James
      GPG Key: 4096R/331BA3DB 2011-12-05 James McCoy <jamessan@...>