72255Re: Vim development process is utterly broken (Was: Re: [patch] test98 stops when using gvim)

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Jul 16, 2013
      On 07/17/13 00:59, Marc Weber wrote:
      > You can share "topic branches" or "PatchBranchExtension". mq patches are
      > "your personal stack of patches" only AFAIK.

      You can share them in diff format, just like the patches that I see on

      > mq allows to reorder patches, pop/push them.
      > PatchBranchExtension is about managing patches which may depend on each
      > other and sharing them, right?

      I don't know PatchBranchExtension. In mq, when patches depend on each
      other, you keep them in one "queue" which is pushed and popped like a
      stack. When they don't, you can put them in separate queues (with the hg
      qqueue command) and push/pop them independently of each other. So far,
      the Mozilla bugs I've fixed didn't require much coding (maybe a handful
      of lines in up to three files) so I never felt the need to divide the
      fixes for a single bug into several interdependent patches: typically my
      "queues" are of one patch each; you're making me remember that I can
      delete any of them which has made it into the official source. But I've
      seen bigger fixes written by others, with (rarely) up to 8
      interdependent patches that had to be pushed in a certain order.

      > I've added this to the wiki.

      >> [..]
      >> use different commands, or sequences of them, to achieve a given result.
      > Yes - but there is :h to document and talk about all of them :) So its
      > not bad doing the same for Vim development workflows.

      Yes indeed: Vim is the only piece of software with a help worth its name
      that I've met since (when? in the eighties, maybe) I stopped working on
      mainframes where the documentation (for software that came with the
      machine) was a set of paper books (in quarto or US letter format, I
      think, and meant to be kept in three-ring binders) and where the source
      (in assembly language on half-inch 2400 ft tapes, and sometimes on
      assembly listings on zigzag paper 132 characters wide by 11 or 12
      inches, similar to "ledger" from what I see under :help popt-option) was
      there for anyone interested in it — most people weren't.

      I remember getting an interim job once after going to an "examination"
      where we had to write a COBOL program about a given problem. I went with
      the COBOL manual for my former computer, opened it in front of me on the
      table, and stuck to the "standard" (non-machine-specific) language as
      described in it. Some other examinees rebuked me for “cheating”, but I
      got the job. (“Cheating?” I said, “Aren't you /supposed/ to have the
      compiler manual at hand when writing a program?”).

      > Marc Weber
      Best regards,
      The UNIX philosophy basically involves giving you enough rope to
      hang yourself. And then a couple of feet more, just to be sure.