72237Re: Vim 7.4a echon - Press ENTER or type command to continue

    Jul 16 1:29 PM
      David Fishburn wrote:

      > This sympton I was only able to reproduce on some Unix machines, I can now
      > produce it on Windows machines too.
      >
      > If you execute this command:
      > let msg = "Enter character:" | echo msg | let c = getchar() | let c =
      > nr2char(c)
      > | echon c
      >
      > The output you get is:
      > Enter character:j
      >

      > Some users on different *nix machines report they get:
      > Enter character:
      > Press Enter or type command to continue.
      >
      > Where I cannot reproduce this exactly, there is a simple variant which can
      > be reproduced.
      >
      > gvim -u NONE -U NONE -N
      > :let msg = "Enter character:" | echo msg | let c = getchar() | let c =
      > nr2char(c)
      > | echon c
      >
      > If the command fits on one line, I get:
      > Enter character:j
      >

      > If you make the width of the screen smaller so that the command above (90
      > characters long) must wrap, when you execute it you get:
      > Enter character:j
      > Press ENTER or type command to continue.
      >
      > Is this a bug or is it expected?

      Expected. The prompt is on the second line from the bottom. Going back
      to the text means the output of "echon" is removed, since a redraw is
      needed (scroll everything down).

      If you set 'cmdheight' to 2 then there is no need for the redraw and you
      don't get the press-enter prompt.

      --
      An easy way to determine if you have enough teamwork to be doomed is simply to
      measure how long it takes from the time you decide to go to lunch together