72205Re: Vim 7.4a echon - Press ENTER or type command to continue

  • David Fishburn
    Jul 15, 2013
      This sympton I was only able to reproduce on some Unix machines, I can now produce it on Windows machines too.

      If you execute this command:
      let msg = "Enter character:" | echo msg | let c = getchar() | let c = nr2char(c) | echon c

      The output you get is:
      Enter character:j

      Some users on different *nix machines report they get:
      Enter character:
      Press Enter or type command to continue.

      Where I cannot reproduce this exactly, there is a simple variant which can be reproduced.

      gvim -u NONE -U NONE -N
      :let msg = "Enter character:" | echo msg | let c = getchar() | let c = nr2char(c) | echon c

      If the command fits on one line, I get:
      Enter character:j

      If you make the width of the screen smaller so that the command above (90 characters long) must wrap, when you execute it you get:
      Enter character:j
      Press ENTER or type command to continue.

      Is this a bug or is it expected?

      Thanks,
      David