72193Re: Patch: Remove invalid keywords from syntax/vim.vim

  • Charles Campbell
    Jul 15, 2013
      Nikolay Pavlov wrote:

      > On Jul 14, 2013 9:36 PM, "Tony Mechelynck"
      > <antoine.mechelynck@... <mailto:antoine.mechelynck@...>>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > On 07/14/13 17:40, glts wrote:
      > >>
      > >> Hi list,
      > >>
      > >> sent this to the maintainer in May. Now resending an updated patch to
      > >> the list. I removed some mistaken keywords from the vimCommand syntax
      > >> group, namely:
      > >>
      > >> DiffOrig
      > >> Man
      > >> Ren
      > >> TOhtml
      > >> XMLent
      > >> XMLns
      > >> bar
      > >> browseset
      > >> cmdname
      > >> comment
      > >> count
      > >> dwim
      > >> emenu*
      > >> errormsg
      > >> filename
      > >> get
      > >> let@
      > >> locale
      > >> mkdir
      > >> mv
      > >> nkf
      > >> quote
      > >> s@\n@\=\r"
      > >> star
      > >> synlist
      > >> xterm
      > >>
      > >> Please check.
      > >>
      > >> Some of the false positives are pretty strange, so I'd say it is
      > perhaps
      > >> not the best idea to mine these keywords directly from the help files.
      > >> Why not maintain them by hand?
      > >>
      > >> Best,
      > >>

      > > Some of them, including as :DiffOrig, Man, :TOhtml, etc., are
      > commands defined in standard plugins and described in the help.
      > :quote, :bar and :star are the helptags for :" (Vim comment) :|
      > (concatenating several commands on one ex-command-line) and :*
      > ('compatible' equivalent of :@) respectively, due to the fact that Vim
      > translates " | and * to these words before looking up any help subject
      > in the tags file.
      > >
      > > These keywords are generated automatically from the Vim helpfiles,
      > rather than painstakingly searched for, because the automatic process
      > is much faster, and, though not perfect, much less error-prone than
      > maintaining the lists by hand.
      >
      > I would suggest to maintain a list of exceptions in this case thus.
      > And filter out everything that does not match '^\l\+$'.

      I've put syntax/vim.vim version 7.4a-1 up on my website:
      http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#SYNTAX_VIM . I don't
      intend to remove the documented standard-plugin commands that are in the
      help (:TOhtml, etc).

      As far as "why not maintain them by hand", I agree with Tony: very error
      prone. Its easier to remove incorrect ones by filtering. Plus, it'd be
      extremely tedious.

      Thank you for your feedback!
      Chip Campbell