69598Re: capture() function to get output of command

  • Ingo Karkat
    May 13 1:02 PM
      On 10-May-2013 04:09 +0200, mattn wrote:

      I beg your pardon, but I find your entire argument weak and unconstructive.

      > On Thursday, May 9, 2013 7:54:38 AM UTC+9, ZyX wrote:
      > <snip>
      >
      > I don't hope that capture() contains highlight attributes. It should
      > be plain text.

      Both ZyX's and my recent messages have already shown cases where this
      additional information is essential. If you don't need it, ignore the
      information / don't request it (my suggestion makes this optional via a
      passed flag).

      > And I guess fixing redir nesting has problems.

      Your intuitions and guesses aren't really helpful in this otherwise very
      factual discussion.

      > 1. There are plugins that depend on original behavior. This break compatible.

      I cannot think of a plugin that depends on having a nested :redir throw
      an error. That's just bad coding practice, and it could easily be
      corrected in the plugin. Do you have an actual example? As I've shown,
      contrarily there are plugins that (when working together) are indeed
      broken due to what I would call an implementation deficiency.

      > [3 lines deleted]

      Please take no offense, I value your opinion like every other, but
      please support them with facts and concrete examples as much as
      possible. Thank you.

      -- regards, ingo