69587Re: Add an option for matchparen to disable it in insert mode

  • Fanhe Fanhed
    May 13, 2013
      Agree with Bram.
      Thanks all.

      2013/5/8 Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...>

      > >> After thinking some more about it, I've come to the conclusion that all
      > >> attempts so far step around the central issue: The maximum matchparen
      > >> delay in insert mode is too large, so that it noticeably affects typing.
      > >> We shouldn't work around this, neither by globally disabling in insert
      > >> mode, nor through any of the proposed filetype- or buffer-local
      > >> configurations.
      > >>
      > >> Instead, let's just reduce the maximum allowable delay in insert mode,
      > >> as this also is much simpler to do. The plugin contains a hard-coded
      > >> maximum of 300 ms; attached patch reduces that somewhat arbitrarily to a
      > >> fifth, hopefully unnoticeable 60 ms. This way, there's no need to
      > >> configure anything, and you still reap the benefits of matchparen in
      > >> most cases, even for problematic files / file types. This only leaves
      > >> out old Vim versions that don't have the {timeout} argument on
      > >> searchpairpos(), but as you're the first to raise this issue, it may not
      > >> be that widespread to bother.
      > >
      > > Thanks, makes sense.
      > >
      > > So, how do we decide on the timeout?  300 msec is too much, 60 msec is
      > > OK?  Perhaps we should make this time configurable.
      >
      > If Fanhe agrees with the proposed change, I'd rather not make it more
      > complex so far. Although I'm usually a big proponent of configurability,
      > the values seem to be fine for 99,99% of users, and a maximum, corner
      > case delay of 1/3 s while moving around seems as reasonable as a barely
      > noticeable 60 ms while typing.

      It's not so complicated:

      if !exists("g:matchparen_timeout")
        let g:matchparen_timeout = 300
      endif
      if !exists("g:matchparen_insert_timeout")
        let g:matchparen_insert_timeout = 60
      endif

        if mode() == 'i' || mode() == 'R'
          let timeout = exists("b:matchparen_insert_timeout") ? b:matchparen_insert_timeout : g:matchparen_insert_timeout
        else
          let timeout = exists("b:matchparen_timeout") ? b:matchparen_timeout : g:matchparen_timeout
        endif

      --
      ZOOT:  I'm afraid our life must seem very dull and quiet compared to yours.
             We are but eightscore young blondes, all between sixteen and

       /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@... -- http://www.Moolenaar.net   \\\
      ///        sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
      \\\  an exciting new programming language -- http://www.Zimbu.org        ///
       \\\            help me help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF-Holland.org    ///