69558Re: C# compiler plugin improvement

  • Chiel ten Brinke
    May 12, 2013
      Thank you for your explanation. So would it be appreciated to include four compiler plugins for C# (csc,msc,msbuild,xbuild)?
      I can create those easily from what we have now.

      On Sat, May 11, 2013 at 11:37 PM, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:

      Chiel ten Brinke wrote:

      [rearranged, please don't use top-posting!]

      > On Sat, May 11, 2013 at 1:47 PM, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:
      >

      > > Chiel Tenbrinke wrote:
      > >
      > > > The current C# compiler plugin, tries to compile the current file with
      > > > `csc`, the microsoft C# compiler.
      > > > This has two disadvantages.
      > > > * It is not possible to compile the file with mono.
      > > > * You can only compile single files, which is something you usually
      > > > don't do in C#.
      > > >
      > > > I made an attempt to overcome these two problems, by calling
      > > > `msbuild`, or `xbuild` (the mono equivalent of msbuild) instead. These
      > > > programs will search for a project file in the current directory, and
      > > > compile the entire project. The plugin file is attached. Could such a
      > > > plugin be patched?
      > >
      > > Why not make two new compiler plugins for this?
      >
      > That is an option I think, yes. But in that case, I think that the current
      > cs.vim should be improved to be able to use mcs (mono equivalent of csc) as
      > well.

      The idea is that the user can switch compiler with just one simple
      command:

              :compiler cs
              :compiler mono
              :compiler msbuild
              :compiler xbuild
              :compiler whatever

      There should be no need for setting a global variable.

      If there is something in common between the compiler plugins that should
      be solved by sharing that somehow.  Possibly by sourcing another
      compiler plugin and then adding some more.

      --
      Computers are not intelligent.  They only think they are.

       /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@... -- http://www.Moolenaar.net   \\\
      ///        sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
      \\\  an exciting new programming language -- http://www.Zimbu.org        ///
       \\\            help me help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF-Holland.org    ///