69465Re: Variable for "motion type" in Operator-pending mode

  • glts
    May 9, 2013
      On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 4:58 PM, glts <676c7473@...> wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I have recently learnt of a patch that was submitted to the list almost
      > five years ago. Please see here:
      >
      > https://groups.google.com/d/msg/vim_dev/lR5rONDwgs8/iLsVCrxo_WsJ
      >
      > The reception was positive but for some reason the discussion was
      > abandoned. I would like to reopen the discussion. I'd be very interested
      > in this feature and happy if the patch could eventually be included.
      >
      > As for the name of the variable, how about:
      >
      > v:motiontype
      >
      > The documentation says that when no motion type is given the variable
      > will be empty, when an explicit motion type is given ("forced") it will
      > be "v", "V", or "<C-V>". I don't think the word "force" is strictly
      > required to make the intent of the variable clear.
      >
      > As for the underscore, the majority of v: variables with compound names
      > don't have it and I think this short name would look nice next to the
      > other variables which are relevant in this context:
      >
      > v:register v:count v:count1 v:prevcount v:operator v:motiontype
      >
      > What do you think?

      If we could settle on a name for the variable, I would be happy to
      update the patch and write a test. This is a low-risk patch unlikely to
      cause any trouble, neither in 7.3 nor in 7.4.

      Please make your opinion heard if you haven't already.

      https://groups.google.com/d/msg/vim_dev/lR5rONDwgs8/iLsVCrxo_WsJ
      https://groups.google.com/d/msg/vim_dev/MNtX3jHkNWw/bhL-o6TlKtgJ