69381Re: capture() function to get output of command

  • Ingo Karkat
    May 2, 2013
      On 02-May-2013 16:29 +0200, Christian Brabandt wrote:

      > [100 lines deleted]
      > It looks like a useful addition, but I am not sure, whether a new
      > function is the right way to go, instead of fixing redir.

      I fully agree, it would be better if :redir could be fixed; even with my
      proposed inclusion of split()ing into lines, the additional benefit is
      low, and it will take a long time until plugins can fully benefit from
      that function without a compatibility wrapper.

      Because I'm still mostly ignorant of the Vim source code, I had assumed
      the patch author has found fixing :redir too difficult (as it also /
      mostly handles file and register targets where there indeed will be
      issues with overriding); I hope mattn can shed some light on that.

      -- regards, ingo