69258Re: Issue 127 in vim: TFS Plugin Broken by latest VIM

  • vim@...
    Apr 25, 2013
      Comment #4 on issue 127 by fritzoph...@...: TFS Plugin Broken by
      latest VIM

      It looks like the plugin is manually escaping quote characters in the
      command with ^, which with default settings Vim will now do automatically
      as-needed.

      It looks like the format of commands that run are:

      ! start /min cmd /c path/to/tool.exe ^"tool arguments^"

      or, depending on the command or specific settings, I'm not sure which:

      r!cmd /c "path/to/tool.exe ^"tool arguments^""

      "Does not work" means very little. What specific output do you get when you
      try to run a command that fails?

      I don't have TFS installed, and the plugin invokes a big chain of functions
      to execute any command, so I tried the second command format with the 'dir'
      command, as follows:

      new
      r!cmd /c "dir /b ^"C:\Program Files^""

      Doing this gives me:
      E485: Can't read file C:/Users/btfritz/AppData/Local/Temp/VIoF289.tmp

      If I remove the ^ characters (because Vim's default settings are now set up
      for these not to be needed anymore), I get a directory listing as I expect:

      :new
      r!cmd /c "dir /b "C:\Program Files""

      For now you can try removing the ^ escaping from the commands in the
      plugin. You should contact the plugin maintainer to let him know his plugin
      needs adjustment for Vim's new default shellxquote and shellxescape
      settings.

      Note that ^" isn't actually a valid escape to include a quote within a
      quote. The quotes also prevent special meanings of characters, so the
      plugin was arguably wrong in the first place:

      C:\>echo ^^
      ^
      C:\>echo ^"
      "