69250Re: Issue 131 in vim: Wrong phrasing in runtime/tutor/tutor

  • tooth pik
    Apr 24, 2013
      On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 03:01:41PM -0700, Ben Fritz wrote:
      > On Wednesday, April 24, 2013 12:56:20 PM UTC-5, v...@... wrote:
      > >

      > > "* Type :s/old/new/g to substitute 'new' for 'old'."
      > >
      > > should be:
      > >
      > > "* Type :s/old/new/g to substitute 'old' for 'new'."
      > >

      > I think it's correct as written, but phrased a little strangely.

      > I'd rather it say, "Type :s/old/new/g to replace 'old' with 'new'."

      I'm guessing here but I bet it was written as it was so as to give the
      user a mnemonic for remembering the :s/// command, specifically the
      word "substitute" -- the use of the words "old" and "new" in the
      example should remove any doubt as to what happens when it's invoked