69081Re: [Patch] Refine listed tags with regex

  • Cody Cutler
    Apr 14, 2013
      lech.lorens@... (Lech Lorens) - Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 11:04:33PM +0200
      > On 29-Mar-2013 Cody Cutler <ccutler@...> wrote:
      > > Hello list. The attached patch allows optional regexs to be passed to
      > > :tj and friends. these regexs is then used to further refine available
      > > tags before they are printed.
      > >
      > > This patch is useful when you have many tags for a single identifier.
      > > For example, suppose a large C++ project has initialize() methods for
      > > 100s of classes. Going through the list of tags printed by :tj is
      > > tedious. Most of the time I know additional information about the
      > > identifier I am looking for like the containing object type or source
      > > filename. The text after the '/' in the argument is used as a regex
      > > (unless a '/' is the first character of the tag identifier, then the
      > > text after the second '/' is used) to match against the "other" tag
      > > fields (which often contains the containing type name). If a '!' is
      > > present, text after it is used to match against filenames. With this
      > > patch you can type:
      > >
      > > :tj initialize/SomeClass
      > >
      > > to list all tags that also contain "SomeClass" in their "other" fields
      > > or
      > >
      > > :ts initialize/!arch/amd64
      > >
      > > to list all tags matching initialize that contain "arch/amd64" in the
      > > containing file's pathname. Or a mix:
      > >
      > > :ts initialize/SomeClass!arch/amd64
      > >
      > > The '/' and '!' characters were chosen somewhat arbitrarily--I'm not
      > > sure if they are a safe choice.
      > >
      > > Any comments are appreciated.
      >
      > I've been thinking about your proposed patch and I would have one
      > problem with it: it doesn't seem intuitive and although I do work with
      > software projects with quite large amounts of source code, I don't think
      > I would use it much (because I wouldn't be able to remember all the
      > quirks of the command).

      I agree that appending a '/' followed by a regex is not a very intuitive
      way to specify the info for the search but I don't think it is less
      intuitive than the current state since :tj and company already treat '/'
      specially if it is the first character of search string (which is why
      the paragraph explaining my patch's usage is so long -- I wanted to be
      clear that the original functionality was preserved).

      There's really not much to remember! If :tj generates a huge list of
      tags, just append a / with a search pattern. If you haven't tried the
      patch yet, you should give it a whirl!

      > However, I think that there is a very simple solution to your problem
      > which does not require changing the behaviour of Vim itself: create
      > a command in VimL which will do everything you need. For this command
      > I would use the following:
      > - input() ??? for getting the name of the tag to jump to,
      > - taglist() ??? to get a list of tags matching what the user chose to
      > view,
      > - input() ??? to get the name of the class,
      > - input() ??? to get the file name pattern,
      > - match() ??? to filter the tag list returned by taglist() with the
      > criteria based on the values input by the user,
      > - setqflist(), setloclist() ??? to create a list displayed in the quickfix
      > window (:copen, :lopen),
      > - inputlist() ??? perhaps instead of using setqflist() to make the
      > experience akin to using :tselect.

      Cool, thanks for this. One reason I submitted the patch was to see what
      other ways people deal with this situation -- I've had a hard time
      finding other solutions. I would love a solution in base though.

      Thanks Lech.