69017Re: RDF manifests highlighted as error from line 2 to the end

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Apr 8, 2013
      On 08/04/13 05:34, Axel Castellane wrote:
      > Sorry for the late answer. redif files do have comments that start with
      > /^#/, but they are likely to have no comment at all since they are very
      > self-explicit...
      >
      > However, any redif file must have a name in *.rdf, and must also have [...]

      This is an unhappy choice, since the W3C recommends *.rdf (with an
      all-lowercase extension) for RDF/XML files, see
      http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-syntax-grammar/#section-MIME-Type

      However, ReDIF seems rather confidential: I could find nothing about it
      on Wikipedia (in any of English, French and German, except as the
      reserve force of former Turkish and Egyptian armies), and a Google
      search yielded only
      http://econpapers.repec.org/paper/rpcrdfdoc/redif.htm which resends to
      http://openlib.org/acmes/root/docu/redif_1.html — a document dated
      2007-06-01, with no Table of Contents, where the string "rdf" does not
      appear at all (in any character case), and where it is said that the
      default charset for ReDIF files is Windows-1252 (!), though UTF-8 is
      recommended and must be heralded by a BOM.

      Couldn't RePEc and the W3C agree on file extensions? Isn't there a
      central place where extensions and MIME types (application/rdf+xml, in
      the case of RDF/XML files) are registered? Or do organizations grab any
      three-letter group that suits their fancy, without checking if someone
      somewhere uses the same file extension for a different purpose?

      Learned men are the cisterns of knowledge, not the fountainheads.