68958Re: Smart completion menu behaviour

  • glts
    Apr 4, 2013
      Paul,

      On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 11:44 AM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore@...> wrote:
      > One really useful feature of Sublime Text is the "fuzzy match" behaviour of popup menus. The way this works is that if you have a menu with items "begin", "end", "eat", you start with all items showing. Then, as you type letters, the list is restricted to only those items containing the typed letters - but the letters do not have to be consecutive, or at the start of the items being completed.
      >
      > So, with the above example, type "e" and nothing changes (but the first "e" is highlighted in each item). Then type "n" and "eat" is removed from the list. Add "d" and "end" is selected.
      >
      > In effect the list is restricted to the items that match the regex .*<ch1>.*<ch2>.*<ch3>.* where ch1, ch2 and ch3 are the typed characters.
      >
      > I don't think this is currently possible in Vim. Would it be feasible to add behaviour like this to the completion menu code? (On the other hand, if it *is* possible already, can someone give me a pointer to some sample code?)

      I think various completion plugins already do that. One instance I know
      of is at

      https://github.com/Valloric/YouCompleteMe

      Scroll down and you'll see an animated demonstration with fuzzy
      matching. Highlighting inside the popup menu isn't possible, though.

      David