68933Re: [patch] Handle files with mixed LF - CRLF line endings when doing tag search

  • Ben Fritz
    Apr 2, 2013
      On Monday, April 1, 2013 11:43:38 AM UTC-5, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      > I wonder how many users actually run into files where only some lines
      >
      > end in a CR. I would consider such a file broken, and first thing would
      >
      > be to strip them all off.

      It's quite frequent where I work. I even have an autocmd that reloads the file in DOS format if it detects mixed line endings. It sets "nomodified" but doesn't save, so if I don't make any further changes, the file on-disk remains unchanged.

      The problem is that many other editors, including Visual Studio and UltraEdit, may read in Unix file format correctly, but depending on how they are configured, will insert Windows line endings on any *new* lines. UltraEdit will even preserve line ending style of any copy-pasted text. That *sounds* like a feature but in reality it is incredibly annoying.

      Do I understand correctly, that I won't see the problem, because I already force-reload the file to remove the mixed line endings?