68877Re: Strange shell behaviour on Windows 7

  • Ben Fritz
    Mar 27, 2013
      On Wednesday, March 27, 2013 7:03:15 AM UTC-5, Paul Moore wrote:
      > Something odd is happening for me on Windows 7 (64 bit). I have my own compiled copy of Vim, and when I run
      > :%!sparkup
      > I get "Shell returned 1" and the buffer is empty. Here, sparkup(.py) is a Python file - I have a .py file association and .py in my PATHEXT variable. The same command works fine when executed from a cmd.exe (or powershell) prompt.
      > In messing around trying to work out what is going on, I find that setting 'shellxquote' to "( rather than its default of ( fixes the problem. And yet I see no reason why this should be necessary - other commands like tr a-z A-Z work fine, and if the vim default was wrong, I'm sure many more people than me would have had issues.
      > I'm not sure what on earth I can do to get any further with this - obviously I can simply set shellxquote and ignore the problem, but I'm worried that there may be some underlying issue that I really should address.
      > Paul

      What are your other 'shell* options set to? The "( was needed, if I recall correctly, for commands using certain special characters as arguments, but I don't see any such characters in your command. I wonder if you have weird settings for shellcmdflag or shellpipe or something that introduce some special characters, and/or are missing the setting of shellxescape somehow.

      What version/patchlevel of Vim are you running? I assume it is some patched version of 7.3 since "( wasn't supported in shellxquote until 7.3.446 ( https://code.google.com/p/vim/source/detail?r=20ca2e05ae20ece942490182691ed45746f64cb6 ).