68683Re: Problem with --remote-expr and error checking

    Mar 13, 2013
      Christian Brabandt wrote:

      > Hi Андрей!
      >
      > On Sa, 09 Mär 2013, Андрей Радев wrote:
      >
      > > While trying to evaluate commands on a remote server and get their
      > > output, I've ran into a problem with error checking -- it seems like
      > > with remote-expr there's no error-checking at all.
      > >
      > > The simplest example I can think of is this (gist:
      > > https://gist.github.com/AndrewRadev/5123706):
      > >
      > > function! Test()
      > > try
      > > exe "frobble"
      > > return 1
      > > catch
      > > return 2
      > > endtry
      > > endfunction
      > >
      > > If I open a Vim with `vim --servername FOO` and :source this file,
      > > executing `:echo Test()` results in 2, since there is no "frobble"
      > > command. However, if I then try `vim --servername FOO --remote-expr
      > > 'Test()'`, I get 1. I tried avoiding try/catch and using `v:errmsg`
      > > instead, but that variable is also not set to the last error if the
      > > function is invoked with `--remote-expr`.
      >
      > This happens, because error handling is explicitly disabled at
      > eval_client_expr_to_string() in main.c
      >
      > I think, we can at least enable exception handling by this
      > patch:

      Hmm, that looks tricky. Maybe it works now, but if emsg_off is set in
      some other situation it may unexpectedly still throw exceptions.

      Let's try something else: set emsg_silent instead of emsg_off. I'll
      send out a patch with that solution. Please try it out.

      40. You tell the cab driver you live at
      http://123.elm.street/house/bluetrim.html
      41. You actually try that 123.elm.street address.