68644Re: :silent ! requires redraw!

  • ZyX
    Mar 9, 2013
      > But now that I think of it, if I want to avoid affecting the screen at
      > all, it would be more appropriate to use `call system(…)`. Perhaps this
      > deserves a mention in this section of the documentation?

      It would not be. At least not until somebody fixes

      > Newlines in {expr} may cause the command to fail.

      , meaning that I cannot use `system()` when creating library function that must be designed to work also with cases like `hg commit -m $'Summary\n\nVerbose description'` (I know that this case may be changed to use `hg commit -l`, but it is not the only case when I use newlines; though all others happen only in shell).