68456Re: easier vim settings transport

  • Marc Weber
    Feb 25, 2013
      Excerpts from Alex Noot's message of Mon Feb 25 22:58:02 +0100 2013:
      > I work in an environment where I access and manage several hundred
      > unix servers. However, the amount of time I typically spend on each
      > server does not justify copying vimrc files around.
      I'm pretty sure that copying .vimrc files around is a lot faster than
      whatever you do when using Vim. Thus why not copy paste such into a
      shell?

      trap "rm ~/.my-vimrc" EXIT; curl -s 'https://your-vimrc' > ~/.my-vimrc;
      alias vim="vim -c 'source ~/.my-vimrc" (or use VIMINIT like env vars as
      mentioned previously.

      This way its ensured that you clean up, that you have your settings.

      With tools like expect or screen it should be even possible to automate
      that.

      Marc Weber