68361RE: [patch] new cpo setting to make n/N search in the same direction

  • John Beckett
    Feb 18 5:37 PM
      Michael Henry wrote:
      > I've always been confused by the behavior of "n" and "N"
      > after backward searches. The only work-around my brain can
      > handle is to simply avoid backward searches entirely;
      > instead, I search forward and press "N".

      Agreed. That's usually how I resolve the problem as well.

      However, sometimes I take the trouble to scroll everything to
      just how it is needed (so some critical portion of code is
      visible). Pressing * to search forwards, and then N followed by
      another N to go backwards might scroll the window, and that
      would be a great distraction. Worse is when I stop to think
      "if I press * will the window scroll?", because by the time
      I've pondered that, and whether some tweaks to my setup might
      overcome my difficulty, I have forgotten what I needed to do
      in the code I was looking at.

      John