68351Re: [patch] [test] test if :mksession saves cursor columns correctly in presence of tab and multibyte characters

    Feb 18, 2013
      Christian Brabandt wrote:

      > On So, 17 Feb 2013, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      >
      > > I think using mb_string2cells() is wrong, because it counts double-wide
      > > characters as two, while "l" counts them as one.
      >
      > Oh, I didn't know that.
      >
      > > How about using w_cursor.vcol but move with "|" instead of "l"?
      >
      > You mean w_cursor.col and using '|' instead of 'l'. That won't help
      > here, I am afraid.

      No, that doesn't work. I meant w_virtcol. It has to be validated
      before using it. Might be tricky in other windows than the current
      window.

      > If we have a multi-byte built, we also have eval feature, right?
      > So can't we use something like this:
      >
      > norm! 06l
      > if 1
      > call setpos('.', ....)
      > endif
      >
      > Since getpos() or winsaveview uses the byte-value of w_cursor.col this
      > should work.

      It is possible to have multi-byte without eval.

      --
      "Lisp has all the visual appeal of oatmeal with nail clippings thrown in."
      -- Larry Wall