68336WYSIWYG-ish vim screen testing (was Re: Looking for test coordinator)

  • Nazri Ramliy
    Feb 18, 2013
      This is a reply of an almost 3-year old thread (but still relevant :)

      On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 4:19 AM, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:
      > Nazri Ramliy wrote:
      >> What if we had some helper command that dumps how the
      >> current screen look like so that it can be compared with
      >> some "expected_dump.txt"?
      >> Something along the lines of:
      >> FILE *fd = fopen("dump.txt", "w");
      >> int r, c;
      >> for (r = 0; r < screen_Rows; r++)
      >> for (c = 0; c < screen_Columns; c++)
      >> fputc(ScreenLines[r * screen_Columns + c], fd);
      >> fputc('\n', fd);
      >> fclose(fd);
      >> [snipped]
      > Using the lowest level information about the screen is a good idea. We
      > don't test the communication with the terminal then, but that's a
      > separate issue, and there have been very few problems in that area the
      > last few years.
      > We can use the remote facility from one Vim to control another Vim.
      > Basically:
      > Start Vim: :!vim --servername VIMTEST -u {test vimrc}
      > Send command: :call remote_send("VIMTEST", ":edit file\<CR>")
      > Evaluate effect: :echo remote_expr("VIMTEST", screen_char(0, 0))
      > The only thing missing is the function to obtain the properties of a
      > screen character, such as screen_char(). That's easy to implement.
      > This only works when compiled with the remote server feature, thus it
      > won't work to test a small version. Not a real problem.
      > We can't get output at the command line this way. Accessing the message
      > history should help, but it doesn't store all the output. Perhaps a
      > testing mode can be enabled to store all output on the command line and
      > a function to obtain it.
      > A few more generic things would be needed, such as a check that there
      > was no error message.
      > Perhaps someone can give this a start to test the conceal feature? That
      > would be an excellent example of what we should be able to test this
      > way.

      Attached is a toy patch that implements something similar to the above. It
      add the following two functions to vimL and four test files (test91.in-
      test94.in) that uses them to test the 'number', 'relativenumber' and folding

      -- 8< --
      screen([{size} [, {col}]]) *screen()*
      Return a List of the on-screen text (ascii only) drawn by vim.
      Each item in the list holds one screen line. The first element
      of the List contains the topmost line. {size} limits the
      length of each line returned. If not provided, {size} defaults
      to 'columns'. {col} is the column offset from which each
      line starts. The first column is 1.

      screenattr({row} , {col}) *screenattr()*
      Return a Dict containing the character attributes for the
      character at row {row} and column {col}. Topmost row is 1
      and leftmost column is 1.
      -- >8 --

      screen() doesn't know how to return multibyte/unicode stuff yet
      (because I don't know how to do it at the moment).

      screenattr() was just implemented a few minutes ago as I'm writing
      this hence there's no test that uses it yet.

      You can bet that the patch has a handful of bugs :)

      I'm posting the patch just to get them out the door to see if it is
      going in the right direction.

      Have a look at test92.in and screen.vim to see how the patch
      simplifies testing vim's line drawing regardless of terminal size (as
      long as they're of reasonable size like 80x20 and not silly ones like
      5x5 - those can be handled gracefully later)