68221Re: Vim hangs with insertion after long line

    Feb 13 2:27 PM
      Christian Brabandt wrote:

      > On Mi, 13 Feb 2013, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      >
      > > Still have a long pending job of making the fast RE code work properly
      > > and test it...
      >
      > Can't we just have an 'experimental' setting, that enables experimental
      > features, e.g. the new fast RE? This would get this feature a lot more
      > testing and we could check, whether it suffers the same bug (otherwise
      > we never know, when this feature has enough testing to be ready to be
      > included).
      >
      > (Also, patches to the regular expression engine like the last patch
      > /[^\n] that shouldn't match linebreaks possibly also need to be applied
      > to the new RE engine).

      The idea was to have a "whitelist" for the pattern. If it passes that
      then use the new RE code, otherwise fall back to the old stuff.
      Gradually the whitelist would get longer.

      Main thing still to do is testing. We can't really expect users to just
      run in bugs all the time. It's complicated stuff. Don't want the same
      long time bug fighting as we had with the conceal mode.
      For testing we would have a way to force the old or new RE engine,
      and compare the results.

      --
      Why is "abbreviation" such a long word?