68034Re: unwated subMenu/XmCascaseButton messages

  • Dominique PellĂ©
    Feb 4, 2013
      Charles Campbell wrote:

      > Hello!
      > I upgraded from 784 to 798 -- (and am doing without gtk, so I'm using the
      > motif).
      > What should I do to eliminate the following two messages that I get when I
      > fire up vim:
      >

      > Warning:
      > Name: subMenu
      > Class: XmCascadeButton
      > Illegal mnemonic character; Could not convert X KEYSYM to a keycode
      >
      > Warning:
      > Name: subMenu
      > Class: XmCascadeButton
      > Illegal mnemonic character; Could not convert X KEYSYM to a keycode
      >
      > I'm getting these with
      >
      > vim -u NONE -g
      >
      > Thank you,
      > Chip Campbell

      Hi Charles

      Perhaps you are building Vim with the Lesstif library.
      Lesstif does not implement everything present in Motif.
      Perhaps that's the cause of those messages (not sure).

      Motif was a proprietary library for a long time (hence
      the free alternative Lesstif) but Motif is now LGPL. Your
      Linux distribution may have packages for Motif which
      can supersede Lesstif. At least Ubuntu has packages for
      either Lesstif or Motif. I don't know about Scientific Linux.

      But anyway, both Lesstif or Motif are rather old and quite
      buggy in my opinion, due to poor type checking in the APIs
      and badly documented memory management causing leaks
      in many Motif GUIs. It also predates Unicode so I don't
      think that Lesstif or Motif Vim GUI support Unicode among
      other things. You'd be better with the gtk2 GUI.

      Regards
      -- Dominique