67997Re: New feature: absolute line number in relativenumber for the current line

  • David Fishburn
    Feb 1 5:06 AM

      On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 7:42 PM, Charles E Campbell <drchip@...> wrote:
      Ben Fritz wrote:
      I only rarely edit files with 10000 or more lines. Most of the time for me, my 'rnu' column takes 4 columns, and my 'nu' column takes 5. I don't care about the extra width, and would probably never turn off the option to show the absolute number on the current line if there were such an option. I'd support doing it that way always, but I'd accept an option as well.

      When some users of some simulation s/w I helped write have a problem, I usually end up with 10-150G long debugging traces; I usually break these up into 1G chunks and "edit" (more usually, examine) these.  So I often end up with files having considerably more than 10,000 lines in them.  Since the patch has been accepted which installs the current line number, I'll probably just use my RltvNmbr plugin instead.

      I am in this exact situation:

      wc -l xaa2.sql
      19,461,476 xaa2.sql

      I think the patch should be "smart" enough.
      If the current line number exceeds available space, simply put a 0.
      If it will fit in the space alloted, put the current line number.

      Maybe it already does this?

      My 2 cents.
      David