67835Re: [patch] improved equivalent classes in regular expressions

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Jan 24, 2013
      On 23/01/13 22:08, Christian Brabandt wrote:
      > Hi Dominique!
      >
      > On Mo, 21 Jan 2013, Dominique Pellé wrote:
      >
      >> You obviously speak better German than me, but isn't the German
      >> ess-zett equivalent to ss rather than sz? I'm curious why /sz.
      >
      > You got me ;)
      > Of course esszett is, despite its name, equivalent to ss and that is
      > what the standard actually demands (Although the Swiss might think
      > otherwise). Sorry for the confusion.
      >
      > regards,
      > Christian

      What do you mean, "the Swiss may think otherwise"? IIUC, in the de_CH
      standard the eszett is not used, it is always replaced by ss, because
      the Swiss have no room for it on their trilingual (well, quadrilingual,
      even) typewriter keyboards. Hence the well-known slur against them:

      — Wie trinken die Schweizer Bier?
      ("How do the Swiss drink beer?")
      — In Masse.
      ("massively", where for any other German-speaking country except maybe
      Liechtenstein it would of course be "in Maße", "in moderation").

      Speak roughly to your little boy,
      And beat him when he sneezes:
      He only does it to annoy
      Because he knows it teases.