67625Re: New tab visualization

  • Ingo Karkat
    Dec 31, 2012
      On 31-Dec-12 20:12:13 +0900, Kip Coul wrote:

      > Hello Andy,
      > Good suggestion.
      > I'll look into the internals of listchars to implement this.
      > I'll keep you posted.
      > Cheers,
      > Kip
      > On 31 déc. 2012, at 11:47, Andy Spencer <andy753421@...> wrote:
      >> On 2012-12-31 10:22, Kip Coul wrote:
      >>> Currently, the visualization of a tab is represented as a first
      >>> character followed by as many repetitions of a second character needed
      >>> to fill the width (lcs_tab1 and lcs_tab2 in the code, if I'm not
      >>> mistaken).
      >>> I'd like to do the opposite, through an option: the first character
      >>> repeated plus the second character at the end. That would enable using
      >>> arrows ('--->' for 4-space wide tabs).
      >>> What do you think about this? I could add an option such as 'tabview'
      >>> which could take two values.
      >> I've wanted this before as well.
      >> Maybe instead of adding another option you could modify how listchars
      >> works? You could use tab:xyz for the left character, the repeated middle
      >> character, and the (optional) right character. Then to get an arrow you
      >> could use:
      >> :set listchars=tab:-->
      >> Any existing configurations that use the two character format `tab:xy'
      >> would just be a special case and would be equivalent to tab:xyy.

      This has been proposed before, but not been accepted yet.

      Have a look at the patch, check whether it still works, try to improve it (tests
      would be especially nice; Bram rightly wants better test coverage now), and
      resubmit for consideration here.

      -- regards, ingo

      PS: Please don't top-post to this list.