67497Re: behaviour of d_

  • Ben Fritz
    Dec 10, 2012
      On Sunday, December 9, 2012 6:43:23 PM UTC-6, ping wrote:

      > any, overall, if d_ is same as dd, why bother the complexity? or are
      >
      > there any extra value of using d_ that I missed?

      There is value in the _ motion, which goes to the first non-blank character in a line. It is like ^, but also takes a count to go to a different line than the current in one motion. It is also easier to reach than ^ on a Dvorak keyboard.

      There is value in the d command combining with any arbitrary motion command.

      dd is provided for an easy way to delete one or more entire lines. The fact that this convenience command does the same thing as combining the d command with certain motions is irrelevant to the usefulness of those motions, and also irrelevant to whether the d command should combine with that motion (it should combine with all motions).