67128Re: Implementation of script support for non-uniform tabstops

  • Christian Brabandt
    Nov 19, 2012
      On Mon, November 19, 2012 17:21, Matthew Winn wrote:
      > On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 16:28:19 -0800 (PST), Ben Fritz
      > <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:
      >
      >> 1. Implement variable-width tabstops by allowing a comma-separated list
      >> to be used as a value for 'tabstop'. For example, setting ts=4,2,8 would
      >> have the first tab in the line stop at column 4, the next stop at column
      >> 6, and all other tabs stop at 14, 22, 30, ...
      >
      > I implemented a patch to do this a few years ago, when I was out of
      > work and decided to grab something off the TODO list to keep me busy.
      > (It's since been taken over by someone else.) During the initial
      > discussion it was decided that it wasn't a good idea to have multiple
      > values in the "tabstop" option in case someone tried to treat its
      > value as a number, so I eventually settled on "vartabstop" as the name
      > of the option.

      Thanks for your work. Are you still maintaining this patch? Or where can
      one find the latest patch. I found one patch against Vim 7.1 I think,
      but I figured, it probably doesn't apply anymore and it was pretty big.

      I think, once this patch is included, adding a 'tabstopexpr' setting isn't
      much work. That should be reasonable, just replace a bunch of buf->b_p_ts
      by a call to a function which returns the tabstop setting.

      regards,
      Christian