67001Re: vim.vim organization

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Nov 1, 2012
      On 01/11/12 01:19, Kartik Agaram wrote:
      > I notice many keywords in runtime/syntax/vim.vim are split across
      > multiple lines. For example, I assume all the lines beginning with
      > "syn keyword vimCommand" could logically be assumed to be a single
      > (very long) command. Is that accurate?
      >
      > If this is correct, I'm curious if there's some pattern to how they
      > are organized. It seems each line is in alphabetical order. But
      > there's a's in each line. Is there some way to decide which line each
      > keyword goes to?
      >
      > Or am I just over-thinking things? :)
      >
      > Kartik
      > http://akkartik.name

      As Dr.Chip said, parts of the syntax/vim.vim script are generated
      automatically. When the interpreter sources the script, every line
      starts a new statement, except of course in the case of "continuation
      lines", i.e. if (in 'nocompatible' mode) the first nonblank on the line
      is a backslash, in which case the interpreter disregards the backslash,
      all (zero or more) tabs or spaces preceding it, and the line break
      between that line and the one before it.

      Someone will try to honk your nose today.