66820Re: Feature Request: A special value for softtabstop that makes it equal to tabstop

  • Andy Wokula
    Oct 17, 2012
      Am 17.10.2012 02:28, schrieb Ben Fritz:
      > On Tuesday, October 16, 2012 7:04:49 PM UTC-5, Gary Johnson wrote:
      >> I know we want to avoid option bloat, but I really hate "special"
      >> values, especially ones as non-obvious as these.
      >>
      >> How about instead a new boolean option, 'tabbind'? When off,
      >> 'shiftwidth', 'tabstop' and 'softtabstop' are all independent. When
      >> on, all those values are set to that of the last one set.
      >
      > I think having too many options is better than having too few with
      > special overloaded behaviors. That is just my preference though.

      Now you can change 'tabstop' via 'softtabstop' ... great, this is even
      more black magic (just next to 'gdefault', 'remap', 'magic',
      'edcompatible', etc.)

      >> For example, if 'tabbind' is on when the user sets 'tabstop', both
      >> 'shiftwidth' and 'softtabstop' are also set to the new value of
      >> 'tabstop'. The user doesn't have to remember what "-1" means or
      >> which option needs to be set last to affect the others.

      With good luck, a value of -1 is not needed.

      > I like this idea very much.

      The user still cannot have ts=8 and sts+sw bound together
      (without the 'smarttab' side effects).

      --
      Andy