66807Re: Feature Request: A special value for softtabstop that makes it equal to tabstop

  • So8res
    Oct 16, 2012
      > Er, again, what's the deal with sts=-1 ?

      sts=-1 would mean that sts takes on the same value as the shiftwidth.

      This means you can change your shiftwidth and have the softtabstop change automatically. I (and I imagine most users with sts on) want the softtabstop to be one shiftwidth wide, but I often forget to update it.

      The most common use case is deleting multiple spaces at a time. Imagine &sw=4 and &sts=4 and you have a file with 'expand' tab. You 'set sw=8'. Now when your cursor is sitting behind 16 spaces and you hit backspace you expect 8 spaces to be deleted, but only 4 are deleted because you forgot to update 'sts'. This is incredibly annoying.

      > So is sw=-1 (not needed, for consistency).

      sw=0 has a similar effect to sts=-1, i.e. sw=0 makes sw take on the same value as tabstop. It's a bit strange to have one start falling back on the '-1' value and the other on the '0' value, which is why I put the second patch up; it makes sw behave a little more consistently with sts. I'm not sure it's a good idea, but it's something to think about.

      By the way, this version fixes a documentation error in the above patch: