66721Race condition when switching to ex-commands

  • Oliver
    Oct 6, 2012
      Hello,

      this issue has annoyd me since a long time,
      I wonder if nobody else has had a problem with it.

      When I have opened a file and want to do things like

      : set ai

      and then type my text,
      if I tyoe fast and don't wait until the ":" appears in the status line,
      I will be in insert mode and type my text then,
      without the command being executed.

      Then one of the possible insert commands following the
      ":" (s, a, i) will be accepted by vim.

      So, somehow it looks like the input is not processed
      character by character, but somehow by likelyhood.
      As if the input buffer is discarded and possibly
      only the "a" for append or one of the other edit-commands
      is used then.

      This problem is annoying especially on slow machines or when
      I use syntax on, because this somehow seems to eat up performance
      and makes the problem popping up.

      So I have to wait until the ":" can be seen,
      which means it stops me in my flow.
      I would await that what I type is buffered, and processed
      one char after the next.

      Is this a known issue?
      Is it already planned to fix this?
      If not: can this please be added to the bug-list?

      Thanks in Advance,
      Oliver