66251Re: Issue 28 in vim: out of the box, gVim 7.3.46 for Win32 cannot write swap files on Windows 7

  • Ben Fritz
    Aug 30, 2012
      On Thursday, August 30, 2012 11:42:48 AM UTC-5, James McCoy wrote:
      > On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 08:18:22AM -0700, Ben Fritz wrote:
      >
      > > Something is wrong here. When I try :set directory+=$VAR, I see the following behavior:
      >

      > > 1. When $VAR exists, its value is inserted at the end after a new comma.
      >
      > > 2. When $VAR doesn't exist, a literal ",$VAR" is inserted at the end.
      >

      > This is expected (and documented at :help :set_env), but I've always
      >
      > found this counter-intuitive. That's not how shells work, which is
      >
      > where people have the most exposure to using enivronment variables.
      >

      > IMO, If the var doesn't exist, then it should either expand to nothing
      >
      > or error. The $ should be escaped if the intention is to use the
      >
      > literal string.
      >

      > > 3. When $VAR exists but is empty, same as (2).
      >

      > Although this isn't described in the help, that's an explicit choice
      >
      > made in the code and again is counter-intuitive.

      Yes, but my point wasn't that it was doing the wrong thing. It was that post I was responding to claimed they "set directory+=$TEMP" and yet their 'directory' option remained unchanged. I was pointing out that regardless of what $TEMP contains, 'directory' ought to have been modified if they really did what they said they did.