64446Re: 'backupcopy' and Windows Vista symbolic links

  • Benjamin Fritz
    Mar 15, 2012
      On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 2:28 PM, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:

      > David Pope wrote:
      >
      >> On Wednesday, July 20, 2011 3:54:09 PM UTC-4, Craig Barkhouse wrote:
      >>
      >> > The mch_is_linked() function in os_win32.c only checks if there is
      >> > more than one hard link (i.e. name) for the file.  It doesn't check
      >> > if the file is a symbolic link.  By contrast the Unix code does
      >> > check if the file is a symbolic link.
      >> >
      >> > Sounds like a TODO item.
      >>
      >> Hello all, did this ever get turned into a TODO item?  I've
      >> encountered this myself (I'm syncing all my vim configuration across
      >> machines using Dropbox, with symbolic links for .vim/, .vimrc, and
      >> .gvimrc).
      >>
      >> I see in the latest Mercurial code that mch_is_linked() still only
      >> checks for hard links.  If it's not already in someone's TODO bucket I
      >> can work on a fix.  The APIs are straightforward in the versions of
      >> Windows that support symlinks; I suspect more of the work will be in
      >> figuring out how to get that support into vim without breaking binary
      >> compatibility on older systems.  Would the maintainers be interested
      >> in seeing a patch for this?
      >
      > A patch definitely helps.  And a way to reproduce the problem.

      Reproduction is easy.

      1. Create a symbolic link on Windows. (e.g. mklink link_path target_path)
      2. open the file in Vim
      3. write the file from Vim

      The symbolic link has been destroyed, now it's a "real" file separate
      from the file it was originally linked to.