64439Re: 'backupcopy' and Windows Vista symbolic links

  • David Pope
    Mar 14, 2012
      On Wednesday, July 20, 2011 3:54:09 PM UTC-4, Craig Barkhouse wrote:

      > The mch_is_linked() function in os_win32.c only checks if there is more than one hard link (i.e. name) for the file. It doesn't check if the file is a symbolic link. By contrast the Unix code does check if the file is a symbolic link.
      > Sounds like a TODO item.

      Hello all, did this ever get turned into a TODO item? I've encountered this myself (I'm syncing all my vim configuration across machines using Dropbox, with symbolic links for .vim/, .vimrc, and .gvimrc).

      I see in the latest Mercurial code that mch_is_linked() still only checks for hard links. If it's not already in someone's TODO bucket I can work on a fix. The APIs are straightforward in the versions of Windows that support symlinks; I suspect more of the work will be in figuring out how to get that support into vim without breaking binary compatibility on older systems. Would the maintainers be interested in seeing a patch for this?