63657Re: Vim 2012 calendar available

  • Rhialto
    Jan 4, 2012
      On Wed 04 Jan 2012 at 10:42:35 -0200, Niels Horn wrote:
      > So, maybe technically "Netherlands" is correct, but the large majority
      > of the rest of this planet will always call it "Holland" :)

      My personal reason for prefering The Netherlands, or variants of that,
      is that Holland would refer only to two of the 12 provinces of the
      country (Noord-Holland and Zuid-Holland or North and South Holland). And
      I don't live in either of them. It's like calling Great Britain England.

      Historically the two Hollands are among the most "important" provinces
      because that's more or less where the impressive people came from when,
      a few centuries ago, history was written. Zeeland was another one. Most
      of the rest has a convoluted history of what belonged to who. And of
      course Holland seems to be easier to pronounce than The Ne Ther Lands :-)

      -Olaf.
      --
      ___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert -- There's no point being grown-up if you
      \X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl -- can't be childish sometimes. -The 4th Doctor