63315Re: Cannot input Chinese character "文" in vim

  • Stephen Lee
    Dec 7, 2011
      On Dec 7, 9:32 am, Fuzzier Tang <gauchy...@...> wrote:
      > Thank you for your comfirmation, Stephen.
      > I actually use gVim rather than Vim under Windows system, so the problem
      > doesn't matter much.
      > Although, I personally think it's strange that the character "文" cannot be
      > input into Vim while other characters can.
      >
      > On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 7:29 AM, Stephen Lee <stephenletter...@...>wrote:
      >
      > > Hello
      >
      > > For you reference, I am using Simplified Chinese Windows xp sp3.
      > > Windows imposes a lot of limitations on console (DOS mode): The
      > > internal encoding has to be in codepages while the output can be in
      > > codepages or in unicode. I think problems happened during encoding
      > > conversion. Gvim hence appears to overcome these limitations. I use
      > > gvim all the time and avoid vim. This this also the reason I am going
      > > to change my system to linux as it has consistent encoding - utf8.
      >
      > > --
      > > You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
      > > For more information, visithttp://www.vim.org/maillist.php
      >
      > --
      > 阿弥陀佛

      I encountered similar problems from time to time, not even only vim.
      Simplified Chinese encoding in Windows is cp936. Conversion between
      cp936 and utf-8 is lossy because utf-8 contains much more characters
      than cp936. Errors happen during conversion between vim and
      console(command prompt) and vim rejects invalid characters. A simple
      testing is to create a file with filename in Eastern Europe, Japanese
      or other languages in Window Explorer, and view that filename in
      console. The filename would appears in garbbage even you have set the
      correct font for the console. This happens in random and depends on
      what characters you enter.

      Gvim, on the other hand, uses Windows internal GUI (or API I don't
      know) directly, and bypass console as a medium. Conversion between
      gvim (utf-8) and GUI or API (unicode) is lossless. Therefore it works
      correctly as long as utf-8 or unicode can handle.