63273Re: Helping Out

  • Taylor Hedberg
    Dec 1, 2011
      I'm not really a Vim dev per se, having only made a few minor
      contributions, but all you need to do to create a patch is to check out
      the latest copy of the code from Mercurial:

      hg clone https://code.google.com/p/vim/

      or if you already have a local copy, then just

      hg pull -u

      to bring it up to date. Then, make whatever changes you have in mind,
      and when you're done,

      hg diff >my_awesome.patch

      will create a patch with your changes. Then just attach the patch to a
      message and send it to this list. Bram will review it, and if it passes
      muster, it will be published on his next "patch day".

      That's about all there is to it. Creating and submitting patches is
      easy; the hard part is the actual coding. :) I recommend using cscope
      and ctags liberally to ease your navigation of a relatively large C
      codebase like Vim's. Without those tools (and Vim itself, of course),
      I'd never be able to find what I'm looking for.
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic