63118Re: Gvim on Windows doesn't remember its position and size

  • Christian Brabandt
    Nov 16, 2011
      On Wed, November 16, 2011 6:37 am, John Little wrote:
      > Christian Brabandt said:
      >
      >> Vim doesn't care, whether the values are negative or positive. I can
      >> successfully use negative values using either the Windows built or the
      >> GTK built. What Gui are you using? It sounds rather like an issue with
      >> your gui toolkit.
      >
      > Er... on my gvim 7.3.353 "Huge version with GTK2-GNOME GUI", negative
      > arguments to winpos are coerced to 0, as I would expect from :h
      > winpos:
      >
      > "The position is adjusted to make the window fit on the screen (if
      > possible)."
      >
      > I imagine the OP doesn't want this "adjustment".

      Seems to depend on your window manager. I don't know, why gnome
      would reset it back to zero. Fluxbox/Openbox don't do it and allow to
      set negative values (and so does Windows).

      All that Vim does is calling gtk_window_move() with the new x and y
      values and the documentation at http://developer.gnome.org/gtk/stable/
      does not mention, that negative values are forbidden. Might be still
      some unwanted effect in the way vim uses the gtk-toolkit.

      regards,
      Christian