60321Re: Useless error check

    Feb 3, 2011
      Ben Schmidt wrote:

      > It came up in a private conversation I had that this line in
      > get_varp() is useless:
      >
      > default: EMSG(_("E356: get_varp ERROR"));
      >
      > The reason is that the first time it is called, it is because
      > set_options_default is running at initialisation time, and since this
      > happens in alphabetical order, almost every option is initialised
      > before 'verbosefile' is.
      >
      > But EMSG eventually checks 'verbosefile' (p_vfile) to write to it, and
      > in so doing, it segfaults (in redir_write).
      >
      > The patch below fixes it. Don't know if it's worth the bother, though.

      With this solution other calls to EMSG() too early would still fail.
      Perhaps we can better check if p_vfile is NULL? And make sure it's NULL
      to start with.

      So many things happen startup that it's difficult to avoid mistakes...

      190. You quickly hand over your wallet, leather jacket, and car keys
      during a mugging, then proceed to beat the crap out of your
      assailant when he asks for your laptop.