59583Re: [patch] Py_SetPythonHome for python3 to make import work

  • Roland Puntaier
    Nov 7, 2010
      James Vega wrote:
      > On Sun, Nov 07, 2010 at 06:04:35PM +0200, Roland Puntaier wrote:
      >
      >> Hi Bram,
      >>
      >> After installing vim7.3 on a ubuntu system, I had again the problem
      >> that import did not work for .so libraries in lib-dynload. I found
      >> that sys.path was initialized with "/usr/..." instead of
      >> "/usr/local/...". On ubuntu (and probably on other linux distros as
      >> well) python3 is installed in /usr/local while python2 is installed
      >> in /usr.
      >>

      > That's not the case at all[0]. No distribution package should install
      > to /usr/local as that's a reserved directory structure for the system
      > administrator[1]. If your Python3 install is in /usr/local, then whoever
      > admins that system installed it there.

      OK, maybe I didn't use apt-get. Nevertheless, as most original sources do,
      python 3.x defaults to /usr/local prefix. And anyway, for the problem,
      it doesn't matter how it got there.
      >> The attached patch calls Py_SetPythonHome with PYTHON3_PREFIX
      >> defined by configure.
      >> This solves the problem.
      >>

      > This should probably be done for Python2.x as well.

      Yeah, you are right. I will send a new patch soon.