58255Re: [patch] Modern UI upgrade for Vim NSIS installer

  • Guopeng Wen
    Aug 1, 2010
      On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 11:57 PM, gongqian li <gongqian@...> wrote:
      > What about a portable version like the one created in
      > http://portableapps.com/news/2009-10-13_-_gvim_portable_7.2%c2%a0which doesn't
      > depend on windows registry? that will be really nice.

      I checked the web site you mentioned. It seems that's a different
      installation system (although it's based on NSIS, if I read
      correctly). That means if we build that installer, we may have to
      distributed two different installers for Windows. Please note I
      have not checked if its license allow us to distribute such
      installer directly or not. Anyway, it does not look like I can make
      the decision to include such installer in Vim distribution.

      That said, I assume you've tried that distribution yourself, I'm
      curious about whether it provides shell extension etc. or not. Does
      it provides context menu (the "Open with Vim" right mouse click
      menu)? If you run "gvim" directly from command line in any
      directory, could it launch Vim? Does it provide MS Visual Studio
      integration?

      If answer to all of those questions are no, maybe we can do emulate
      that by leaving out some components. But I'm afraid things are more
      complex than that.

      Regards!

      Guopeng