57195Re: [vim73] easy way to purge 'persistence undo'?

  • Dominique Pellé
    Jun 3, 2010
      Christian Brabandt wrote:

      > Hi SungHyun!
      >
      > On Do, 03 Jun 2010, SungHyun Nam wrote:
      >
      >> With vim-7.3 (+ 'undofile'):
      >> I guess I could remove a undofile and run ':e' to do this.  Maybe
      >> I can make a mapping with some vim script, but...
      >>
      >> Is there any easy way to purge 'persistence undo' history?
      >
      > Try setting ul=-1

      I tried this:

      :set undolevels?
      undolevels=4000

      :set undolevels=-1
      :set undolevels=4000

      And the undo history was *not* purged. Undo history is
      only purged if I edit something in between the 2
      ":set undolevels=...":

      :set undolevels=-1
      .. edit something...
      :set undolevels=4000
      (undo history is now purged)

      I'm not sure how useful it is to be able to purge undo history anyway.
      I don't think I would need to do that. What I would find more
      useful, when performing multiple undos with persistent-undo, is to
      display a message such as:

      "undo reached state where file was last read/written"

      ... so that user is warned when doing multiple undos that it can
      continues to undo.

      I see an item added recently on the todo list which would also be useful:

      - undofile: keep markers where the file was written/read, so that it's easy to

      Cheers
      -- Dominique