55746Re: [patch] has("win64") returns 0 in 64-bit Vim

  • Sergey Khorev
    Jan 5, 2010

      > Isn't that only checking the type of CPU that the vim binary was built
      > with, instead of whether it was built as an x64 binary?  Or does
      > defining WIN64 cause an x64 binary to be built instead?

      CPU in makefile defines target CPU.
      -DWIN64 passed to compiler does nothing besides pointing out to source
      code we are targeting x64 or IA64.

      > I'm not sure what has("win64") should be returning based only on
      > reading the help, but I'd imagine it should either be a) whether the
      > vim binary itself is a 64 bit binary, or  b) whether the OS that the
      > binary is running on is a 64-bit version of windows.  The latter seems
      > more useful, but I'm not sure just from the help.  If I'm right,
      > though, it would have to be a runtime test; nothing at compile time
      > could do the trick.

      Source code clearly states it was meant as a compile-time check:
      #ifdef WIN64

      Honestly, I'm not sure what's the point in knowledge what OS version
      we are running.

      Sergey Khorev
      Can anybody think of a good tagline I can steal?
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic