55666Re: The list on vim-patches page

  • Christian Brabandt
    Dec 16, 2009
      On Wed, December 16, 2009 5:12 pm, Tom Link wrote:
      > Anyway, there seems to be no way to report success/failures with
      > certain patches in a systematic manner that would allow Bram to get an
      > adequate overview of how many people use a certain patch with which
      > version (incl patch level) of vim and how many of those people
      > experience problems that can be reproduced so that we know for sure
      > that the problem is actually caused by the patch etc. Otherwise the
      > patch authors (I didn't contribute a patch so this is just another
      > "personal theory") probably get frustrated, they abandon vim, they
      > stop maintaining their patches with the consequence that their patches
      > are likely to quickly become unusable since the development of vim
      > continues.

      I think it could help, if those working patches from the vim_extended
      repository could be distributed as a precompiled alpha/testing release
      of vim. I am sure, this would increase the user base.

      I must admit, I haven't tested any of the patches from that repository
      since I am afraid of having to take care of updating myself and since I
      work on many different systems, it's hard to get it done everywhere. But
      I think there are many exciting new features, which I'd like to test.

      So could it be possible to provide a 7.3 testing release which
      integrates these patches? I would certainly use that release and give
      feedback. Of course there needs to be a possibility to give feedback to
      the patch authors/maintainers as well. Maybe the linux distributions
      could also provide a vim-patched package (similar to how it is done with
      mutt-patched).

      James, what do you think, could that be possible for Debian?

      regards,
      Christian
      --
      :wq